Chemical Peels and Facials
How Chemical Peels Work
Chemical peels are used to safely "peel away" the top layers of skin. They can help diminish the signs of aging, as well as help with treating certain medical conditions such as acne.
Below are the three main categories of chemical peels offered at Clear Dermatology. Before having a chemical peel performed, you will meet with our Aesthetic Team to evaluate your skin and discuss the treatment goal you are trying to achieve. Specific recommendations will then be discussed for your skin type and goals.
Superficial (BHA- glycolic, lactic, citric and mandelic acid):
- Removes the outer layer skin, used to treat fine lines, acne and uneven skin tone.
- Little to no downtime, aka great “lunch time peel,”
- Slight redness that will fade away after a few hours, with very little to no peeling.
- You may have this peel done every 2-5 weeks, depending on your treatment goals.
Medium (AHA - Salicylic acid or jessners- salicylic/latic/citric acid combined):
- Removes skin cells and is used to treat fine lines, wrinkles, acne, acne scars, discoloration/melasma and uneven skin tone.
- 1-7 days of downtime.
- Peeling usually occurs on day 2 to 4 and lasts for about 7 days.
- This peel can be done every 4-6 weeks for optimal results.
Deep (TCA- trichloracetic acid):
- Penetrates the skin a little deeper and used to treat fine lines, appearance of wrinkles, melasma, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, improve acne scars and texture of the skin.
- 1-14 days of downtime, peeling occurs on day 2-3 and can last up to 2 weeks.
- This can be done every 4-6 weeks for optimal results.
How Facials Work
Benefits of a Facial
- cleanses by removing dirt and oils
- exfoliates dead skin cells
- promotes new cell growth
- improves blood circulation
- detoxifies skin
- blackhead/whitehead removal
- stress reduction
When can Facials Occur
Facials are recommended every 4 weeks, which is when your skin cells start to grow back. However, facials can also be used anytime a patient is having a bad acne breakout. Facials are a great skin nourishing and hydrating treatment for patients on Accutane or more aggressive acne treatment regimens. They are also a great way to give your skin that fresh, natural healthy glow when you have a special event coming up!